The enterprising and innovative spirit, together with the tenacity and creativity, of a group of pioneers to break the isolation of Galicia in the Northwest corner of the Iberian Peninsula served as the solid foundation of CEDIE. Established in 1942, the company's ambitious project was the production of fuel and other derivatives using a carbochemical process through the vertical integration in the production of lime, calcium carbide, acetylene and their subsequent polymerisation.

Partial view of CEDIE's factory during its construction in 1942.

The fact that the area surrounding O Barco de Valdeorras, in the province of Orense, was the only location in the Autonomous Community of Galicia in which one could find high quality limestone, was the determining factor in the decision to construct the factory at this site.

View of the first limestone quarry opened by the company in the mid 1940sSince its establishment, CEDIE has been firmly committed to maintaining a constant growth rate and in the creation of long-term employment in the area. Following more that fifty years of uninterrupted activity, this corporate philosophy, which has served to overcome difficulties, continues to be the pillar on which CEDIE is founded.